It was 2nd October, 2011.
All media channels were celebrating Gandhi Jayanti and debates were going on
corruption issue; as Anna had just finished his hunger strike against
Government for Jan Lokpal just a month ago.
I had applied for the
Passport in the 1st week of September and the passport application had arrived
at the local police station of my area to verify whether there are any criminal
cases against me or not.
As it was holiday at
office, I had taken a chance to finish all the formalities at Police station.
In excitement for passport, I got ready early and dressed up well.
I reached the police
station at 10:00 AM. An elderly couple was at the desk for verification. After
completing all the formalities, they gave Rs. 500 (bribe) under the table to the
officer so that their form can be easily cleared. I was watching the complete
scene from a little distance and was thinking about how I should react if I am asked
a bribe. I have already taken all the original documents with 2 copies, enough
to prove that I am resident of India and I have no criminal records in entire
life.
Now my turn... They
reviewed all the documents. It was almost completed and officer is about to
sign verification documents and........
Suddenly emergency call
came from their central control room and, as many policemen were on holiday,
officer had to attend this call. While leaving, he told me to come in the
afternoon with a small advise "khichcha garam karun ya" which means ‘come
along with money’. I acted as if I didn't understand anything and returned back
home.
In the afternoon, I again
reached to police station. 2 policemen were seated verifying the documents. One
was busy with the verification of documents and other was throwing question to
me, like, since when you are staying in your apartment?, why have you applied
for the passport?, are you planning to go abroad for further studies?, where
are working currently?, what is your salary?......
After giving all answers,
they reminded me for the money (bribe) that they had asked me in the morning. I
had already set my mind not to give any bribe to anyone. Also, I knew that they
can't hold my papers for any reason. Either they have to process my document
within certain timeline or they have to reject my application by proving
criminal record against me. So I confidently told them, “I will not give any
money to process my application and if you want to hold my application you can”.
Spontaneous reply came
back from police, " ye Anna ka jo bhoot chada hai na usko uttar do, ye
akela budhdha kuch badal nahi sakta. Bina
paise koi kaam nahi hoga" by which he advised me to forgot the
anti-corruption fever that Anna had spread over entire country. That senior man
can't change anything in the country. Without money they will not process
anything.
Again, my reply was very
clear, "Ok sir" and waited for their response.
Now they were also under
pressure. Police told me to come in the evening when their senior officer will
be available. I thought that, as they failed to convince me for the bribe, now
they will use their senior's power to convince. But I calmly said “ok” and
returned home.
Again in the evening I
reached to Police station. They told me to go into the cabin of senior Police
officer for verification. I entered into the cabin and he told me to sit into
the chair which was opposite to him.
Again flood of
questions!!!! Most were the same which other officers had asked me in the noon.
Additionally he asked me to show the black spot on the left wrist, which I had
mentioned in the application form. After the finishing all formalities, he
asked me to talk to the officer who asked for the bribe.
Now for last time he
tried, "Sir, kahi tari bakshish dya", meaning, "Give as much as
you want to give". And again I replied "NO"...
Finally after all attempts
failed, he accepted his failure and cleared the documents.
Finally I got my passport
on 28th October, 2011 as birthday gift.
Never give any type of
bribe to any person.
If you are correct, then
no one can hold your work. Just follow the laws. And still if they hold your
work & ask for money, instead of giving money post your complaint on below
site and give them the complaint reference no. and see the magic.

a good start my friend...
ReplyDeletekeep writing...
Too good...Very true.If you are right, you dont have to bow to others for getting things done....btw, I think I got my passport without any hassels only because I was MARASHTRIAN!!!!!!!!!...No questions asked, no NOC submitted from the society!
ReplyDeletevery good this is the start u have done i also will follow the same.........................
ReplyDeleteMust say bhavik u have a lot of patience..Most of us would have given up when the officer called u again in the afternoon thinking.. kaun doosri baar jayega..
ReplyDeletePar hats off tu teesri baar bhi gaya and u didn't even give any bribe..
M sure all of us have learnt something from your experience...
True...
ReplyDeleteMany people are unaware of the law and these cops misuse their power by such acts to the innocent people.
Great Job,Keep it up 👍
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGreat efforts done by you, keep up the same efforts and fight against the corruption, hope this effort of yours bring some awakening and even influence other people .
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete